Single Page Applications (SPA) allow the enterprise to provide users with rich, responsive applications through the browser. This creates extensive cost savings; gone is the necessity to develop for multiple platforms to reach users on multiple operating systems.
SPA provides the following benefits:
- Mobility support
- Plugins eliminated
- Cross-browser support
- Rich, responsive user experience leveraging the benefits of HTML5
Enterprise SPA Adoption Services
Here are a few mechanisms and patterns we can help put in place, no matter what the chosen MV* framework is:
- Sharing common vendor JS libraries
- Project Structure / Modularity / Namespace conventions
- Transparent API Mocking
- Unit Testing
- UI Validation, client and server-based
- Bundling and sharing internal JS libraries
- Optimizing client side SPA resources
- Logging / Tracing local and remote for support
- Reference application and / or usage patterns
- Authentication and applying of role-based ACLs (Access Control Lists)
Our teams have extensive real-world enterprise development experience with Backbone.js, Angular.js, and ExtJS, and have successfully implemented these technologies in multiple business domains.
Adapting Server Side Data and Business Logic to RESTful API-based Architecture
SPA requires a fundamental application architecture shift. If existing .NET/Java technology stacks are still viable, they need to be repurposed for a more lightweight API-based access on the client (browser) side.
Enterprises with existing Java EE or .NET infrastructures can easily adapt to SPA support by introducing a RESTful-based API framework to application servers. Java EE can adapt servlet-based frameworks, such as Spring MVC, Jersey, or Sherpa, while .NET can introduce WebAPI, MVC.Net, or WCF. This choice depends upon application requirements and the frameworks currently available in the enterprise.
Here are some patterns and mechanisms that will need to change to support API development for SPAs:
- RESTful API endpoint implementation
- Application data access strategy
- Endpoint authentication and access control mechanism
- Versioning endpoints
- Testing endpoints
- Effective API design
- Effective API payload design
- Data concurrency
- Validation / Error handling
On-Site, Just-in-Time Education
Our team’s real world, hands-on experience is translated into your custom coursework. Depending on the needs of your business, education can include lecture and lab courses led By Keyhole Sr. Consultants, one-on-one or group mentoring and player/coaching, and post-course support services.
Popular SPA courses include:
- HTML5 for the Enterprise — Mobile and Web Development
- Spring Batch Framework Training and/or Implementation Configuration
- User Experience, Theming, and User Control Selection
- Tutorial – HTML5 Essentials for SPA Development in the Enterprise
- Video Tutorial – ExtJS Single Page Applications
- Video Tutorial – Developing SPAs with the ExtJS Framework