In this post, I’ll discuss how I’m currently working to migrate a suite of apps from Docker Swarm to Kubernetes. The client chose this migration to align with more contemporary standards of container deployment and gain a more comprehensive feature set. Also, some products that they recently purchased were best supported as a Kube package. So you have a fuller …
VS Code’s Development Container: A Stepping Stone To IaC
In this post, l explain how we used Visual Studio Code’s Development Container feature as a stepping stone in our long-term effort to achieve Collaborative Infrastructure as Code. This one step in the process gave a versioned, repeatable working environment and allowed us time to determine the next steps in the effort to achieve IaC.
Gaining Docker Image Size Efficiencies By Separating Application Layers
I was pushing a new Docker image tag for each application code commit, and the admins of the private registry were getting annoyed at how much space I was using.
Yes, I know there are strategies to clean up old tags but I first wanted to reduce the impact of the tags I was pushing. With the right layering strategy, I knew I could reduce the net registry size increase of consecutive tag pushes.
I wanted to only push what had actually changed in the application. In addition to reducing the impact on the registry, having smaller tag deltas could possibly speed up rolling deployments since nodes could potentially have less to download.
Dockerized NetScaler Web Logging (NSWL) Tool
Recently I needed web/access logs from a NetScaler appliance. The client wanted me to explore NetScaler Web Logging (NSWL) as a possible solution.
To make things easier, I Dockerized the NSWL tool. This post walks you through how to use the NSWL Docker image…
Shrinkwrap before (or after) it’s too late!
Attention: The following article was published over 7 years ago, and the information provided may be aged or outdated. Please keep that in mind as you read the post.This happened to me… Twas the night before beta launch… I installed a new node module for a last minute feature and everything went haywire when the change was deployed. I reverted …